What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits.
24-hour consular emergency service
FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY, Australian citizens requiring urgent assistance outside normal Embassy opening hours, including weekends and public holidays:
- Call the Australian Embassy at +43 1 506 74-0 and follow the instructions to be put through to the 24 hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra. Alternatively, call the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra directly on (+61 2) 6261 3305.
- Non urgent enquiries can be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Further information on where to get help can be found at Smartraveller
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
On-line registration for Australians overseas
We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.
Living in Country
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services.
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
The Australian Embassy provides the following notarial services:
- Witnessing of Signatures
- Certifying copy of a document
- Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage
- Witnessing of Signatures on Driving Licence Kits
- Legalisation of signatures and/or seals on Australian public documents (apostilles and authentications)
Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.
Please ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian Embassy are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy in Vienna guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.
Passport application interviews and notarial services at the Embassy in Vienna are offered by appointment only.
Passport fees increase on 1 January 2018.
The Australian Passports (Application Fees) Determination 2015 provides for the annual CPI indexation of Australian travel document fees on 1 January each year.
From 1 January 2018:
- the application fee for a 10-year passport (for adults and child applicants aged 16 or 17) will be AUD 282
- applicants under 16 years, and those aged 75 and older who opt for a 5-year passport, will pay AUD142
- the overseas surcharge for children under 18 years will be to AUD 53, and
- the overseas surcharge for adult applicants will rise to AUD 105.
- Note - the overseas surcharge is not/not charged for emergency passports.
Payment for services
Current fees for passport and notarial services are shown in our online appointment system.
Payment can be made by bankcard or credit card (VISA and Mastercard) at the time of the appointment, or by completing and returning the payment authorisation form.
Alternatively, payment can be transferred into the following bank account:
UniCredit Bank Austria
A-1070 Vienna, Mariahilfer Straße 54
Bank/swift code: BKAUATWW
IBAN: AT53 1100 0096 5404 3000
Id code: 12000
Account number: 09654043000
Australian Embassy, Official Account
Please ensure that money transferred from other countries is NOT subject to bank charges in Austria.
A copy of the pay form or transfer slip must be enclosed with the application.