Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey: Online survey now open
Services for Australians Overseas
What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits.
24-hour consular emergency service
For Australian citizens calling from within Austria only: 0800 29 18 47
Outside Embassy opening hours, contact the 24-hour consular emergency service in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305
For 24-hour consular assistance from within Australia, please call 1300 555 135
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
On-line registration for Australians overseas
We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.
Living in Country
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services.
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
The Australian Embassy provides the following notarial services:
- Witnessing of Signatures
- Certifying copy of a document
- Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage
- Witnessing of Signatures on Driving Licence Kits
- Legalisation of signatures and/or seals on Australian public documents (apostilles and authentications)
Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.
Passport application interviews and notarial services at the Embassy in Vienna are offered by appointment only.
Changes due to passport legislation:
Due to recent changes in passport legislation, the following important changes to Australian passport arrangements will be introduced on 1 January 2016:
- lost and stolen passport fees will be abolished from 1 January 2016
- there will be a discrete application fee for emergency passports
- increased passport fees will apply as of 1 January 2016
- 16 and 17 year old applicants will be issued with ten-year validity passports from 1 January 2016 and must be accompanied by a person with parental responsibility when lodging their passport application
Please note that children and persons aged 75 years and over are no longer eligible for frequent traveller passports. This regulation is already in effect.
Payment for services
Current fees for passport and notarial services are shown in our online appointment system.
Payment can be made in Euros in person at the Embassy. We also accept bank and credit cards (VISA and Mastercard). Alternatively, payment can be transferred into the following bank account:
UniCredit Bank Austria
Jaquingasse 1/Rennweg 20
Bank/swift code: BKAUATWW
IBAN: AT53 1100 0096 5404 3000
Id code: 12000
Account number: 09654043000
Australian Embassy, Official Account
Please ensure that money transferred from other countries is NOT subject to bank charges in Austria.
A copy of the pay form or transfer slip must be enclosed with the application.