The Australian Embassy and Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Vienna has a vacancy.
Job Title: Temporary Consular Communications Officer - LE2
Hours: Minimum 20 hours per week
Salary: This position will be paid a pro-rata salary equivalent to an annual gross full-time salary of EUR 38,780 (inclusive of 13th/14th month payments). The actual salary will depend on the number of hours worked.
The Australian Embassy, Vienna is currently seeking expressions of interest from persons interested in short term casual work in a Consular Communication Officer capacity for a maximum period of 3 months.
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
Under supervision from immediate colleagues and with guidance from the Consul, the Consular Communications Officer is responsible for the provision of consular advice in our countries of consular responsibility in accordance with legislation and departmental policies. The position also provides reception services.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Using talking points to respond to general enquiries via phone and email, directing callers within the Embassy or referring clients to consular officers.
- Using judgement to identify vulnerable consular cases in need of escalation.
- Liaising with key stakeholders, including the Regional Consular Officers in London and Dubai, Honorary Consuls in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovenia and the Canadian Embassy in Budapest to ensure effective provision of consular services for Australian citizens
- Providing reception services
- Coordinating and performing other administrative duties as required
- Demonstrated client service experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong capacity to maintain confidentiality
- Strong problem solving skills, sound judgment and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organisation and planning skills, ability to prioritise workloads and work flexibly within tight deadlines
- Ability to be proactive and work independently
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and legislation, including the Privacy Act.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively as an effective member of a small team
- High level of IT proficiency, excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in spoken and written English essential, German not required
Application Selection Criteria
Applicants interested in this vacancy must submit a written statement in English, of no more than 750 words, telling us why you are the right person for this position. Include why you are interested in the role, and how your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications are applicable to the role. Make sure you read the key responsibilities of the position above and highlight some specific examples that will demonstrate your ability to perform in the role.
Applicants must also submit a resume which provides a summary of your employment history and details of your qualifications/experience that are relevant to this position. Please provide the details of two work-related referees who can be contacted to discuss your work performance and character.
How to apply
Please see Recruitment (amrislive.com)